Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ristorante Pampa Magna, Asti

An old picture of another Barolo ( the best I've ever had), but a great night remembered.  Hope all is well Leon!
Hello all, I hope you have not missed my wine blog too much.  Again a last thank you to Marco Buzio for giving me the correct information regarding his winery in the Monferrato hills.  I have been very busy travelling and taking in the Italian culture.  Asti last Saturday, which I will report momentarily, Cinque Terre last Tuesday, Lucca, and Pisa today-Thursday.  I will talk more about these in my next posts.  Tomorrow I head to Maremma to begin working in the wine shire there, wish me luck!

Last Saturday I took a day trip to Asti in the Langhe Hills of Piemonte, a major town in regards to wines from Piemonte.  Barbera is king, with much Dolcetto and regional reds, as well as the famous Moscato Bianco grapes which make the bubbly stuff like Asti (Spumante) and Moscato d'Asti.  While there I discovered a ristorante which was very een on its wine selection.  The wines were great, the food was great, I was not so pleased with the service-but this may be due to my lack of Italian and their volume of business.  overall I do not hold any grudges and would reccommend the place-just maybe not say that you are American if you go, haha!

1: Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis 2009:
Ok this is a producer you can definitely find in the states, and everything bearing the label is quality, including the Arneis here.  Arneis is the varietal, 100%, and it is like a big Sauvignon Blanc had a child with an Italian Pinot Grigio.  Pale yellow with good concentration, a youthful wine indeed with some solid legs.  A strong nose of fresh yellow peaches back by soft rocky minerality, a hint of white flowers and straw/hay.  A clean palate with Medium plus acidity and body, a noticable warmth from the alcohol (13%) on the finish it has a long dry finish with additions of sweet apple and lime leaf to add to the peach.

1st Course:  Agnolotti with Prosciutto in a Cream Sauce- Incredible

2:Plozner Quattroperuno Venezia Giulia Sauvignon 2009:
I know, its not a Piemontese wine, but I wanted it, and it was supposed to be after a 2nd Piemontese white-Erbaluce- which never made it to my table.  I actually had to reorder this wine to get it, but enough complaining.  Starbright with a pale straw color with hints of green, a lighter concentration than the Arneis.  Very clean nose with lime and lemon, tinges of green grass and a high level of aromatics.  The palate had bright acid, the kind in a young wine that makes it 'zingy' on the finish, with cool weather rocky monerality and the same grassy tinges.  The fruits were the same, but more subtle, also very good with the Agnolotti.

Main Course:  Risotto cooked with Barbera carrots and Salsiccia (sausage)-Again Incredible

3: Rocche dei Mazzoni Barolo 2001:
Everyone by now should know Nebbiolo is my favorite Italian varietal, and Barolo is the best of the best for it.  Its a big wine thats takes time to open up, and this was was beginning to blossom.  I will note I also ordered the Jermann Pinot Nero (Noir) 2007, but that also did not make it to my table {8^(  Bright with a garnet color and medium concentration, medium plus viscosity with some sediment thrown from age, and the rim variation noticable.  A great barolo nose, dark cherries, violets and black roses and tar!  A wonderful full mouthfeel with softened tannins and medium plus acidity, the fruit tartens up a bit on the palate.  It was perfect with the Agnolotti, I saved a bite for it, and really good with the Risotto as well.  All in all a wondeful meal!
Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment