Sunday, October 24, 2010

Enoteca Casale Monferrato- 3 Times and I'm Out!

It's really bright outside and I haven't had any wine yet today!
Happy Sunday from Genova. The weather is cold, kind of wet, and very gloomy so I broke down and bought an internet card here at the hostel I am staying at. Hope all is well stateside, from what I can tell it sounds like some snow may be falling in the Sierras? if so I bet people are getting excited for ski season. The poor weather here halted me from the Tartufo festival is Alba today, but also having spent all day in Asti yesterday I was quite spent physically anyway- 10 plus miles including the final 2 uphill back to the hostel. Today I took it easy, wandering the streets getting my groceries and will take a nice little nap I think here in a little bit. Today I want to share my tasting notes from my 3rd and final trip to the Enoteca in Casale last Wednesday.

Hey Linds, the bag had and usually has all 3 contents at most times!
Go San Francisco Giants!!!!!!!!
Had to get that out of me, back to the World Series, the Texas Rangers have no chance!

1) Castello di Gabiano Corte Monferrato Chardonnay/Sauvignon Blanc 2009:
I am starting to see a lot more of these blends coming out of Italy these days, in both Piemonte and the Tre Venezia. Some producers are doing the same in California, but of course in the California style, by overwhelming the fruit with oak influence. Here is not the case- the wine is light and crisp, a perfect appertivo as a starter wine. The fruit is very fresh and lean, going more towards crisp green apples and some tart sweet citrus fruits. The acidity is in prefect harmony with the palate and there is great balance throughout. There is a taste that lingers much in the tone of a perfumey florality as well. Give me some light style seafood and watch how big my smile grows {8^)>
http://www.castellodigabiano.com/flasheng/flash.htm

2) Garrone Grignolino d'Asti 2008:
So as I mentioned before in previous postings I have become very fond of Grignolino since visiting Casale, and it finds a great home in the Monferrato hills. This selection is from its neighbor to the Southwest, Asti, where I visited yesterday. After tasting this selection, as well as another bottle that I purchased and shared with friends later in the evening last Wednesday, I can say 2 things about Grignolino with certainty. First is that I prefer it to be young and fresh versus some bottle age and the Northern soils of monferrato are more suited to produce complex wines from this varietal. The Garrone was riper and more fruit driven, lacking the subtle complexity of the pepper and rose aromas. To be blunt this was a weak and flabby example, but I still really like this varietal. Pair with a meat and cheese plate to begin your meal and be in Heaven.

3) Bricco San Tomaso Barbera/Cabernet Sauvignon Monferrato 2005:
The first Italian wine I have tasted since arriving over a month ago that reminded me of a California wine! It was dark in color with some heavier extraction and higher alcohol levels, the fruit was very dark and super ripe. There was great body with medium tannins and acids from the balance of the blend, and a long warm finish. The woman kind of laughed when I said it was like a California wine, she said, 'Not like any that I have tasted!' That made me smile and laugh as well. Heavier meat pastas or just red meat in general.

4) Azienda Agricola Rappellino Dario Barbera d'Asti 2006:
When she lined up the wines in this order I mentally questioned how a Barbera/Cab blend could come before a Barbera, but she was right. This was a big heavy beefy oak aged Barbera from a warm ripe year. The color was much darker than what I would expect from a Barbera, maybe from the help of blending?, and the nose was rich and dark and intense. Plum and black raspberries and warm cherry pie, the oak spice was influential but not overwhelming, and the finish was long and complex. This one was definitely a winner in my book, and was priced at only 15 Euro ( about $22 buck)!!!! Would have bought this one but wanted to try another Grignolino before leaving the hills of Monferrato.

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment