Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Castello di Querceto



Hello all and Happy Wednesday!  Good news, tomorrow I head to my work program that I am going to be at in Casale Monferrato in the foothills of Langhe in Piedmont, and I am really excited.  I am writing today in Genoa on the Ligurian Coast, and let me just say that it is amazing here.  The people are friendly and helpful, and the city itself is beautiful, it reminds me of San Francisco and I love that.  I am on my own now, my mom got to the airport safe and sound yesterday in Venice, despite a taxi costing 110 Euro to do so.  venice the city that doesn't stop taking your money.  I am glad to be away from there and have no intentions of heading back anytime soon.  it may sound bad but I was happy to see the city partially flooded when I left.
Like I said Genoa is great and I will definitely come back I think. The Ostello di Genova is the name of the Hostel I am staying at, and its a great deal for about 20 Euro a night.  Its very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.  They even have laundry service at 7 Euro for up to 8kg, so I will have celan clothes for my adventures onward. 
Lets talk some wine though, I feel like i have held you out for long enough.  Like I said I had the opportunity to visit a Castello in the heart of Chianti Classico one afternoon while in Florence.  It was a large tourgroup but it was a good start to my adventures in Italian Wine Country.  The place, Castello di Querceto, was great and the tour included a walk through the castle, the cellars, and a tasting of 3 of the wines they make.  Included was a generous amount of 'snacks' to pair with.  After leaving the winery we headed to the town of Greve, one of the most important villages in Chianti Classico.  I am glad I did not bring my credit card or the local wine shop would have bankrupted me.  1991 & 1993 Antinori Tignanello for 110 Euro a piece!!!!
The wines tasted at the castle:
1: 'Le Capanne' Chianti Classico 2008- Soft and easy drinking, the entry level Chianti Classico for the house.  It does not see time in oak and thus is focused on the purity of the fruit flavors and meant to be consumed early.  It was mellow easy and fresh, with simple dark red fruits, leather, crushed peppercorns and a bit of woody tones on the finish.  8 Euro Retail
2: Castello di Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva 2006- A great vintage for Chianti, and it shows in this bottle.  Definitely more robust and rounded than the previous, the fruits were more black plum and dark cherries, with hints of vanillin and smoky oak notes rounded by a similiar but more developed and integrated finish hinting at rosemary and thyme sticks.  16 Euro Retail
3: Castello di Querceto Vin Santo- For those that have not had or do not know what Vin Santo is, you should check it out.  Its a dessert wine that has the nickname of holy wine because it was often served at mass in the church.  Made from Malvasia and Trebbiano (both white) grapes, they are dried before pressing to concentrate the sugars and reduce the water content.  Traditionally the barrels are sealed and not topped off, giving it a slightly oxidative, desirably, character.  The wine is golden in color and smells of dried fruits and very almondy/nutty.  The way to enjoy it is to dunk your biscotti into it.  14 Euro Retail.
Hope all is well in California and that the weather is cooperating for the grapes, I will check in again in a few days when I get situated and we will go from there.  Salute!

http://www.castellodiquerceto.it/index.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment