Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Another visit to the Enoteca!

Again to repeat, I will work for Wine!
Happy Wednesday all, it's my last full day in Casale Monferrato, tomorrow I take a train back to Genoa for base camp for 6 days.  I have some fun day trips planned:  Asti, Cinque Terre, and a wine festival in Alba!  I am assuming it must be about time to harvest my favorite Italian varietal, Nebbiolo, and so I hope my cup will runneth over!  This past Sunday I treated myself to a second round of tasting at the Enoteca at the old castle.  I am sending myself off today with a 3rd visit- what a great way to spend the afternoon right?  I hope the really friendly woman from last Wednesday is there again.

So on Sunday I went a little more mainstream, tasting 3 wines that you all should be able to find good examples of stateside.  If any of the 3 really spark an interest, get in contact with me and I will tell you where to go to ease the search.

1) Oberto Roero Arneis Vigna Re Loche 2009 D.O.C.G.
A very well known white varietal from Piemonte, Roero is the region located across the Tanaro River from Barolo and Alba.  A light bodied white, it has fresh acid and light white peach fruit flavors as well as some white pear and white flowers.  This was a softer version of what the grape can be.

2) Ca' San Carlo 'Schiavino' Barbera del Monferrato Superiore 2003 D.O.C.G
This is the bigger style of Barbera, seeing riper grapes with longer aging including some oak influence.  Also one of the newest DOCG's of Piemonte, whic has the most of any region in Italy at 12 and counting.  An oak driven nose with spicy red berry fruits like strawberry jam.  Also dark roses, hints of tar and leather, which makes me think there is some blending going on here, which is totally allowed.  Juicy with bright acid, but the oak influence is prominent throughout, like the Merlot I tasted from this producer, I believe it is the house style.  Good wine though, nonetheless.

3) Oberto Nebbiolo d'Alba 2005 D.O.C.
First off, I love Nebbiolo, but it is a grape that does need to be nurtured, and this one is a bit light.  The flavors were a bit muted and tame, nothing special here.  It only cost 11 Euro for the bottle though, so I should not expect much anyway.

Salute!

1 comment: