Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Family Winemakers' Tasting San Francisco 8/23

Hello all I hope we are doing well on this sluggish, for me anyway, Tuesday.  Its hot as hell and Im not excited, but ask anyone that grows grapes and they are doing backflips right now because the grapes are ripening!  Three weeks behind schedule, they need to catch up quick.
Family Winemakers tasting is one of the biggest events of the year, and Monday did not dissapoint.  It is a public tasting, but that is held on Sunday, Monday is the trade only wrap up, which is definitely the way to go.  I will keep it short and sweet today and give you my top 5 from the event.  Tastings of this magnitude are impossible to take notes at so I just try to remember my few favorites.  And I hope everyone is getting a positive result and a chance to partake in my Lesson #1.

5.Thomas Fogarty Monterey County Gewurtztraminer 2008
one of the best domestic Gewurtz ever tasted and its under $10 a bottle!
4.Lagier Meredith Napa Valley Mt Veeder Syrah 2006
Dr Meredith isolated the DNA for much of clonal research on vines
3.Corison (2002 Napa Valley Cab/2006 Kronos Vineyard)
An earthier style house, the Kronos was so dense and powerful
2.Paul Hobbs Russian River Chardonnay 2008
First time tasting ever, really knoced my socks off for a oaky California Chard
1.Michaud Vineyards Chalone Vineyard Pinot Noir 2004/2005
The gem of the show, partly because its one of those wines you wouldn't know about unless you knew about them.  Mostly though the juice was fantastic and both vintages rocked, 05 was more brooding and tannic

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment