Friday, August 13, 2010

Dutch Henry Wine Tasting

Hello all, on Tuesday 8/10 I attand a tasting featuring 4 selections from the Dutch Henry Winery and Vineyards in Calistoga, on the Northern end of Napa Valley.  The estate itself is very near Rombaeur's winery for a reference point most are familiar with.  Dutch Henry is definitely a small project, Dave Koehler pointing out to us there are only about 7 people total in the main work force.  All in all I found the wines to be enjoyable, but was never blown away by anything.

2009 Chafen Estate Dutche Henry Sauvignon Blanc:  A Sauv Blanc for a Chardonnay drinker.  Creamy with tropical fruits and candied lemon.  It got better as it opened up in the glass, but never really did it for me.

2007 Pinot Noir Mt Veeder:  Not a common planting, the top of Mt Veeder is usually Cabernet and/or Syrah (Check out Lagieder Meredith Syrah from there, it Rocks!).  The Pinot was a bit darker and brooding because of the climate with dark dehydrated berries and a little syrupy on the palate.  The oak spice was integrated well, but at 15% alcohol it was a bit much for me

2006 Calistoga Etstate Syrah:  A very light style syrah, the color especially.  From my tasting notes it would seem this is my favorite, having made many comments, but again I don't think I ever came around on this one.  Price in the equation though, has to be the best value of the bunch

2005 Hillside Estate Howell Mountain Cabernert Sauvignon:  Said to be 100% Cabernet, I found this to be the most consistent of the bunch and probably my favorite of the lot.  Fruits were not as black as I anticipated, and I would swear there was some American or Slovenian Oak influence on this wine.  Not a real big Cab, it is drinking well now and should be consumed sooner rather than later.

Cheers all!  Try something new this weekend and write me to tell me what you thought.
Here are some possibilities:  South African Chenin Blanc, Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc, Nebbiolo from Piedmont, Greco di Tufo from Campania, Something from Spain that's not Rioja or Albarino,....Good luck all

No comments:

Post a Comment