Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Moment of Reflection


As I sit here, Thursday night November 11, 2010, I have a moment to reflect back as it is my 7 week mark here in Italy. It has been a long time that has gone by so quickly. I still have vivid memories of the first day in Rome, getting lost-and then finding the way- in Florence, and the crowds of Piazza San Marco in Venice the first 2 weeks. In this short time I have been fortunate to have had some very influential people cross my path, and for that I am very thankful. I also know that this journey is far from over and there will be many more people that will have great bearing upon the destination, which at this point in time, even I cannot definitively determine. To all of my friends and family back home as well, my thoughts are often of you and how lucky I am to be who I am and to have great people like you present in my life. Much love goes out to all of you, sincere thanks indeed.


My friend Adam recently posted a question which I am often asked in my professional life which was ‘What is your favorite/best bottle of wine?’ In my early days I would quickly have responded with an answer like, ‘A Grand Cru Burgundy,’ or ‘Any good producer and vintage of Brunello or Barolo.’ In recent years now though I have grown to take a different perspective which I wish to share with you now. First I must say that my life journey these past 7 weeks have really driven this point home for me and I will elaborate. I can no longer answer the question with a conventional response. I have been so fortunate in my 4 plus years of wine directing and Sommelier work to have had wines that I could almost never have been able to experience (1976 Petrus, 1966 Lafite Rothschild, 2006 Harlan Estate to name a few) otherwise. Now I truly understand that a bottle of wine is a vessel, not to deliver a delicious beverage to the palate, but rather to deliver an unforgettable evening with the special people you share it with.

Take the Sunday night before leaving Sacramento to fly to Rome and begin this adventure. I had the opportunity to share some of the most priced bottles in my cellar with a small group of close friends, and that is what made the bottles so priced. What is better than tasting your ‘favorite’ wines with some of your favorite people? Nothing. Getting to see the expression on a friends face when you show them that they are about to taste a 1979 Il Colle Brunello di Montalcino was worth every penny that the wine cost. There are times when I can remember a good bottle of wine ruined simply because of the company, which is a damn shame. Or take the other side of the equation. Or take the 1984 Alsatian Riesling (my birth year) which was given to me by old boss John Schumacher (Hallcrest Vineyards!) on for my birthday. Being able to open it on Mother’s Day the following year with Mom, Hi Mom-Love Ya! It was a bit over its peak but it didn’t matter, it was the occasion and the moment.

So as I leave you I hope that this small reflection rings home to many and we all begin to truly see about wine in a much different light. Sure, a bottle of 1st Growth Bordeaux or Biondi Santi Brunello is always going to be great, but don’t overlook those everyday wines with special people in your life. Salute!


Thanks to everybody for all the love and support-JNM


1 comment: