Friday, September 17, 2010

Syrah by Another Name

http://www.saintcosme.com/en/wines.php
Happy Friday everybody, how's it going?  Only 2 more days of work including tonight, I can almost taste the freedom, now there is a fun topic: Patriotic WInes, hmmm for another day perhaps.  I had a thought today, more a question to myself.  I love Italian wines, I think they are great in general, especially with the quality movement as of late.  How long will it take me to say I wish I had a bottle of California wine?  Let the wagering begin.  Let us progress.

I think I said recently that I wanted to make syrah a hip new wine to drink, and with fall and cold weather coming, whats better than a glass of syrah and some braised meat.  Mmm Mmmm Good!  Well a few years ago, has to be at least 2 now, I purchase a $15 2004 Cotes du Rhone.  This is a basic level appellation wine for the Rhone Valley in Southern France.  Good values can often be found in good vintages, like 2004, from top producers.  The big thing here with this bottle is that it is 100% SYRAH.  Almost all Cotes du Rhone wines are Grenache based.  I did not realize this upon purchase.  Let me just say it was one ofthe better $15 wines I have had in a while.  What a wonderful thing a bit of cellaring can do!

Saint Cosme Cotes du Rhone Syrah 2004 Rhone Valley France

Bright Garnet clear with a medium concentration.  The wine is transparent with a light rim variation.  No gas but sediment was thrown while dacanting.  Medium tears with light staining
The wine is clean but is faint with hints of Brett.  Brambly raspberry and dark cherry, fresh blackberries and blueberries.  Mild pepper and violets with warm stone minerality.
Medium bodied with great balance.  The fruit stays dark and the pepper is firm.  No notice of oak and the fruit drives a bit with good minerality on the finish. 

Roasted Game or Braised Beef.  Mmm Mmmm Good!  Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment